I recently had my IQ tested using the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Test.
The test took two hours, and consisted of many different sections. The sections were as follows:
- Defining words
- My therapist gave me a string of numbers, and I have to repeat them back to her.
- She then gave me a sequence of numbers, and I had to repeat them backwards.
- Then she gave me letters AND numbers, in random order, and I had to give her the numbers in numerical order and the letters in alphabetical order, numbers first.
- I got to play with blocks. At first she would arrange blocks, and I would have to copy. Then I would have pictures of blocks in a certain arrangement, and I would have to recreate it.
- I was provided with several cards with different pictures on them that made a story, and I would have to put them in the most logical order.
- I was shown a picture and I had to tell what in the picture was missing.
- I was given the numbers 1-9 with symbols underneath each, and on the same sheet were rows of random numbers. I had a certain amount of time to write in all the symbols under the numbers, and then she recorded how many I completed and how many I got wrong. I wasn't allowed to skip around.
- Similarities (i.e. what does this have in common with this?)
- Mental math problems (MENTAL, I wasn't allowed to write anything down.)
I believe there were other sections, but there were so many they're all hard to remember. The 2 hours was like spending two hours at the gym, but your brain. We took a break in the middle so I could have a cigarette and use the bathroom.
I started out the morning grabbing a lox bagel at Einstein Bros., since fish is good brain food. I also grabbed large cup of coffee to add to the mug of coffee I already had before I left the house. It's difficult getting the right balance of caffeine: too much and you can't focus, just enough and it assists you. I managed to get the right amount in my system.
Starting out, I expected I would be above average. (100 is average, 130 and up is genius, the test caps at 155.) I had gotten bets from people ranging from 80 (I hope they were joking) to 155 (also a joke, I'm assuming.) Real guesses included 120, 139, and 142. I was guessing, at the highest, MAYBE 140. But I was expecting probably somewhere around 135.
At the end of the test, my therapist told me she would text me that day with my results. Needless to say, I was impatient to find out. My test had already been rescheduled 4 times (sickness, brought the wrong kit, electrical fire) and I couldn't be more antsy about waiting for the results. I think life was trying to teach me patience.
Yes, I know, I haven't actually said my results yet. That's on purpose. Before I type them, I will say that IQ tests are made by monkeys (my dad's words) to test monkeys (my addition.) I took the test more for entertainment value, and it doesn't change my opinion of myself or anyone else.
It was about 8:30 PM Saturday the 8th, and I received the text. My full scale IQ was calculated as being 151. I remind you, the test caps at 155. The test is calling me some kind of crazy super genius. (I guess I would be a CRAZY super genius, wouldn't I?) Mensa wants at least 130 to get in, I think they'll take me. Anyone want to help me with the $63 annual dues and the $40 application fee? :)
Other than my IQ test, something else interesting has happened to me. Something that I would never have thought would happen to me. I think I'm in remission from schizophrenia. I haven't had any symptoms in quite some time and I've been able to lower the dose of my medications a bit without any problems. My head gets quieter and quieter every day, and it's the weirdest thing. I've been spending a lot more time reading because I like to read when there's nothing else going on in my head.
I worked for my remission, though. I spent nearly a year in therapy once a week, and I took (and take) my medications as prescribed. I made effort in improving the things about myself and my life that I didn't like. I started going back to school and reading to exercise my brain.
REMISSION IS POSSIBLE. Anyone who is suffering with mental illness, please know that relief exists out there. It wont be easy, it hasn't been for me, but it's possible. I promise.
10 January 2011
IQ test and remission.
Labels:
intelligence,
IQ,
IQ test,
medications,
remission,
test,
WAIS,
Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think about this post?