20 April 2011

HR Diagram project, "especially clever" formal logic answer

This past Monday was a good day, as it usually is.

In formal logic, after I had said one of the lines for an answer for a proof, wrote it down, looked at it for a minute, then said "Ohh, I see where you're going with this. That's clever." So I went ahead and said the rest of the way I solved the proof. Here is the problem and my answer:

1. M ∨ (N · O) /~N ⊃ M
  |2. ~N                ACP
  |3. ~N ∨ ~O       2, Add
  |4. ~(N · O)        3, DM
  |5. (N · O) ∨ M   1, Com
  |6. M                  5,4 DS
7. ~N ⊃ M           2-6 CP

After the proof got written on the board, the professor brought it up again that my solution was especially clever and that it's not often that he gets a student that solves it like that. I laughed awkwardly and said "Thanks..." because I'm terrible at taking compliments. I did feel really awesome, though. It was just the first way that came to mind to solve it.

Later, in astronomy, I got my HR diagram project back. I got 97%. I got 2 points off of one of my evolutionary tracks (which shouldn't have happened, I had the SI look at them and he said they were perfect.) and one point off of one of the questions from the book we had to answer. 97% is still a good score, but it's not 100%.

I particularly enjoyed the question that he starred. One of the answers involved describing what the sunrise and sunset would be like if the sun were a red giant. Here's my answer:

When the sun is a red giant, sunrise will be more extreme in the sense that the sky will light up quicker and be much more visually spectacular. I would expect that sunrises would be faster (as in the speed at which the Sun lights up the sky) because of the size of the sun and the amount of light it puts out. As for sunsets, I would think they would seem to take longer (as in how long it takes for the light to be completely gone from the sky) because the Sun would be much larger. As for the color of the sky, there might be a slight difference but it is what's in our atmosphere that makes the color of the sky, not the color of the star it goes around.

Like I said, he starred that answer. I always love when that happens.

He also circled my answer to a question about Cepheid variable stars and wrote "Yep!" which I can only interpret as the estimation I made involving the period of days that the star varies and the luminosity was particularly correct. It was just an estimation, so that makes me feel good.

We got the take home final in astronomy, as well. I'm really excited for it. It's 5 questions, mostly essay questions, but also questions in which you can make diagrams. For some of the diagrams, I'm going to do pen and ink and colored pencil. They're going to be awesome. I'm determined to get 100% on something in that class. I'm stuck at a 96% and I can't seem to get past it. It's definitely an A, because in astronomy an A is 92.5% and up. But still, I want a higher score. I ended up with a 98% in both College Algebra and American Government last semester, so I should be able to get something similar in Astronomy and Formal Logic, dontcha think?

They may both be more challenging classes, but I set high standards for myself. Just as long as I get an A, I guess.

Anyway, I gotta go take a shower and get ready for school. I'm bringing in my diagrams today! (The paintings I had posted previously) It's time. I wonder about that extra credit that's available for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post?