07 November 2013

When Short Answers Are Impossible

I am a member in several groups on Facebook, including several high IQ groups, an INTJ group, a few physics groups, a few philosophy groups, among others.  I find it hard to join in on discussions, whether naturally or invited, much of the time.  It is not that I can’t think of things to say to contribute, the problem is that often I feel I have much too much to say, and from past experiences, long-winded replies tend to turn interest away.  

The overabundance of thoughts to contribute stems from how I’ve had to train my mind to manage the rather debilitating symptoms of schizophrenia.  To describe schizophrenia in reference to this topic alone, consider the human mind and how senses receive data to be directly fed to the brain to be processed.  To a schizophrenic, the processing and management of data from the reception of stimuli though the senses goes awry, and the brain becomes hyperactive, such that when there is not enough stimuli, the brain creates more data for the brain that is convinced it is starved of, creating hallucinations, or the perception of something non-existent through means utilizing the senses create an illusion, delusions and paranoia, which are the results of the brain making excessive and far flung conclusions (therefore forcing the brain to process more information) from coincidental connections between events or experiences, resulting in complicated scenarios that foster paranoia and delusional behaviors.

I have always been proud of how I’ve managed to come to understand myself and my illness, resulting in my ability to control, or manage, many of the schizophrenic symptoms I experience by training my mind to work around it.  This ability has resulted in a deep ingrained philosophical point of view which combines the rationalism of Rene Descartes and the skepticism of David Hume, where all I know is that I exist, and that any other information outside of that conclusion should always be considered as possibly being incorrect, while simultaneously entertaining the idea that there is no such thing as truth, and that all organizations and points of view that believe they hold the truth are not flawed, but not truth in any sense that people expect it to mean.  I can not trust my own senses, or my own perceptions, as schizophrenia uses both to deceive, and I will never be able to truly understand others perceptions, so I live constantly with the idea that everything I know, or think I know, or that others know or think they know, are all claiming to be able to answer questions that in reality have no answers.

This lead to a keen interest in philosophy, religion, and a vast array of scientific fields, all of which purport to answer the seemingly unanswerable questions about what governs our existence.  I do not claim to believe any of the methods, or conclusions they draw from said methods, with any kind of certainty, and while I have personal opinions about what those answers may be, in no way do I claim any is more correct than the other, especially since I am unable to trust my own perceptions.  Because of this, my mind constantly comes up with all sorts of answers that could be reached for a single given question about things unknown, all of which I consider wholeheartedly, and all of which I will discuss, and all of which I can elaborate on.  Theorizing is part of my everyday existence, comfortably accepting that no answer could ever be the right one, fueling the brainstorm machine my mind has become, searching, elaborating, deliberating, all activities that never result in an end or resolution to questions about the unknown.

So, before you ask me a question, please be aware that most of the time I have many answers for the same question, especially when it is something considered cross-discipline or theoretical, and that for me, sometimes a short or singular answer is simply not enough to get across what points I have to make.
So, before you ask me a question, please be aware that most of the time I have many answers for the same question, especially when it is something considered cross-discipline or theoretical, and that for me, sometimes a short or singular answer is simply not enough to get across what points I have to make.

1 comment:

chris299 said...

hi i run a small chat Group for schizophrenics/schizoaffetives/schizotypal on kik
we have people from England Scotland ireland Wales in Group +15 odd from USA ,Canada Australia etc

just wondered if u want to join us somtime ?

add me on kik : Crisssss123

please come for chat and remind me kats pocket watch

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post?