Hello, my name is Kat. I am 23 years old. I am currently a student at Oakland Community College, and at the end of this semester I'll have an associates of science degree. I recently got accepted into MSU for my bachelors in astrophysics.
Growing up, I began as a stellar student. It was clear that I was smarter than average, and in elementary school I was even in the advanced math group. Starting in 5th grade, things went downhill. I decided I didn't want to do homework or busy work. What started to be repeated by teachers was "She's so smart, she just won't do the work."
I've been through a lot in my life. When I was 15, I attempted suicide and was put in a psychiatric hospital. That was when they diagnosed me as schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. My diagnosis would later be changed to paranoid schizophrenic. When I was 17, I got caught with marijuana at school and got suspended and received my first conviction. Also when I was 17, I tried cocaine for the first time, not knowing I'd soon become addicted. I would spend the next two years experimenting with all kinds of drugs, and getting two more convictions. When I was 18, I was sentenced to 90 days in jail, but only served 2 months due to overcrowding. I've spent some time in low places, and had things happen to me that I wouldn't wish for anyone to experience. I've lost friends to overdoses and suicide. I've stolen things from family members, and excessively from stores. I even overdosed and had my heart stop, causing me to spend a week in the hospital. I also spent some more time in psychiatric hospitals. At 19, I finally stopped experimenting excessively with drugs and got myself off of cocaine (with help, of course). I also got married at 19, after having been with him since I was 15.
All throughout this time, I failed classes. I would have had to go to highschool for another year in order to graduate. I decided against that, and wanted to get my GED instead. I took the GED and got surprisingly high scores.
At first, I wanted to be a graphic and web designer. I attended OCC to do that, but I was still unmotivated. My grades were less than stellar. I had a few jobs doing web and graphic design professionally, since I had already taught myself many of the things I needed to know. I then spent some time in cosmetology school, but quickly stopped with that.
I decided, when I was 22, to finally pursue my dreams. I have to admit, one of my reasons for deciding this was because I had my IQ tested. When I got my score (151 on the WAIS), I thought that my now passionate hobby could, possibly, become what I do for the rest of my life. I wanted a Ph.D. in astrophysics. The first step would to be to prove myself to a university by getting a degree, and I moved toward getting an associates of science. I actually started trying in school. My F's that I had been getting previously turned into A's (and an A- or two). I began to excell at everything I attempted. School, which I had previously hated, became my very reason for being. I developed a passion for the accumulation of knowledge.
Now, I am happier than I've ever been. My GPA is high, MSU wants me to pursue astrophysics there, I'm happily married, and I have great friends and family.
It hasn't come easy. I've worked very, very hard. I couldn't have done it without the support of my friends and family, either.
I've done many things in my life that are regrettable. I regret none of it. Every mistake I've made is worth the lesson I learned from it. Everything I've done has shaped who I am today, and I am stronger because of it all. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything, no matter how terrible some might be.
So, remember this: If you are struggling, you always have the ability to change. If you know who you want to be, you can become that person. If you regret nothing, you will always value your past.
I'm going to keep moving forward, keep pushing my limits, and we'll see where I end up.
Growing up, I began as a stellar student. It was clear that I was smarter than average, and in elementary school I was even in the advanced math group. Starting in 5th grade, things went downhill. I decided I didn't want to do homework or busy work. What started to be repeated by teachers was "She's so smart, she just won't do the work."
I've been through a lot in my life. When I was 15, I attempted suicide and was put in a psychiatric hospital. That was when they diagnosed me as schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. My diagnosis would later be changed to paranoid schizophrenic. When I was 17, I got caught with marijuana at school and got suspended and received my first conviction. Also when I was 17, I tried cocaine for the first time, not knowing I'd soon become addicted. I would spend the next two years experimenting with all kinds of drugs, and getting two more convictions. When I was 18, I was sentenced to 90 days in jail, but only served 2 months due to overcrowding. I've spent some time in low places, and had things happen to me that I wouldn't wish for anyone to experience. I've lost friends to overdoses and suicide. I've stolen things from family members, and excessively from stores. I even overdosed and had my heart stop, causing me to spend a week in the hospital. I also spent some more time in psychiatric hospitals. At 19, I finally stopped experimenting excessively with drugs and got myself off of cocaine (with help, of course). I also got married at 19, after having been with him since I was 15.
All throughout this time, I failed classes. I would have had to go to highschool for another year in order to graduate. I decided against that, and wanted to get my GED instead. I took the GED and got surprisingly high scores.
At first, I wanted to be a graphic and web designer. I attended OCC to do that, but I was still unmotivated. My grades were less than stellar. I had a few jobs doing web and graphic design professionally, since I had already taught myself many of the things I needed to know. I then spent some time in cosmetology school, but quickly stopped with that.
I decided, when I was 22, to finally pursue my dreams. I have to admit, one of my reasons for deciding this was because I had my IQ tested. When I got my score (151 on the WAIS), I thought that my now passionate hobby could, possibly, become what I do for the rest of my life. I wanted a Ph.D. in astrophysics. The first step would to be to prove myself to a university by getting a degree, and I moved toward getting an associates of science. I actually started trying in school. My F's that I had been getting previously turned into A's (and an A- or two). I began to excell at everything I attempted. School, which I had previously hated, became my very reason for being. I developed a passion for the accumulation of knowledge.
Now, I am happier than I've ever been. My GPA is high, MSU wants me to pursue astrophysics there, I'm happily married, and I have great friends and family.
It hasn't come easy. I've worked very, very hard. I couldn't have done it without the support of my friends and family, either.
I've done many things in my life that are regrettable. I regret none of it. Every mistake I've made is worth the lesson I learned from it. Everything I've done has shaped who I am today, and I am stronger because of it all. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything, no matter how terrible some might be.
So, remember this: If you are struggling, you always have the ability to change. If you know who you want to be, you can become that person. If you regret nothing, you will always value your past.
I'm going to keep moving forward, keep pushing my limits, and we'll see where I end up.


1 comment:
Hi Kat. I'm 52 now, so looking back now on those years in my life comes with perspective. Suffice to say, I left college the first time with a BA in psychology that no longer interested me. At 23 I decided to go back to school to become a teacher and return to my first love, physics. I now think of my adult life as STARTING then. You never really become an adult--you spend your whole life becoming one.
Post a Comment
What do you think about this post?