24 June 2011

My Journey Through Physics - Part 4

I feel special.

Apparently the e-mail I sent my physics professor about my quiz last Thursday was the only e-mail he responded to that day. Ryan (the S.I.) was there when he got the e-mail.

I also feel special because I got an exception made for me. My physics professor is allowing me to take Engineering Physics and Calculus I concurrently even though Calculus I is a prerequisite for Engineering Physics. I can't believe he's actually letting me do that. I feel like I'm on top of the world.

...Though he does say there's some things I have to agree to before he says yes for sure. I wonder what those things are. If it's something like promising to work hard and give it my all, that's no problem. If it's promising to get as much help as I need for the class, that might be a problem since I hate asking for help - but Ryan said I'm lucky because I have him. I don't really have him because I can't take any of his personal time because I can't pay him, but maybe it'll work out in my schedule that I can get help from him while he's at the school.

Speaking of schedule, in order to take Engineering Physics, I'm going to have to wake up at 0500 3 days a week. Lab on Wednesday starts at 0930, and in order to get there in time I have to catch the 0738 bus. To do that, I have to be up by 0500 because I take forever to wake up and to be mentally awake enough by the time I need to catch the bus, I have to be up that early.

Because of Engineering Physics, none of the Calculus I courses at Royal Oak work for me. One is during Engineering Physics, and the other gets out at 2130 on a Tuesday, which is way too late if I have to be up by 0500 the next morning. So I'm going to have to take Calculus I at 0900 on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Orchard Ridge campus - which means, same thing - up at 0500 to catch the bus at 0738. My professor better feel special, I'm doing this all for him. I don't want any other professor - I've already worked so hard on this relationship.

I noticed something about Engineering Physics last night. It's 5 credits. I thought to myself "What am I getting myself into?" This is going to be ridiculous I think. I'm going to be living at the Orchard Ridge campus. I hope people don't get sick of me.

We had our group project presentation yesterday. It was relatively painless. We got 187/200. The problem was I couldn't get anyone in my group to do anything until the last second. I'm satisfied, though.

All we have left is the final now, in Physics I. We're allowed to have one 8 1/2" x 11" formula sheet, front and back. I managed to get everything to fit on the front. So I suppose if I have to write down anything last second, I have the back of the sheet to do so.

I'm not worried about the final. I think I'm going to do okay. I have all weekend to study. The final consists of two parts - one 60 point part that's a lab event with your group, and the other part is 140 points and that's the individual section. I'm not worried about the individual section.

All in all, I feel good. I have a 94.6% in physics and the lowest I can get on the final and still get an A is 170/200. I'll get more than that, so I'm not concerned.

Oh, one more thing I feel special about. You know that poster I was working on and posted in the previous entry? After our presentation, I went up to the professor and Ryan and said "I feel bad throwing this away, but I've got no use for it." The professor took it and Ryan said "Anything you draw, we'll take." I feel happy about that.

I also left a cute little note on the lab tech's desk yesterday. Here it is:


I just thought it was amusing.

I should probably get back to studying now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post?