12 June 2011

My Journey Through Physics - Part 2

I've been enjoying my time in physics.

Every interaction I have with an object, my first instinct is to think about how to calculate various relationships with said object. I like this new way of thinking that I have.

The reason I haven't updated until now is because I've been so completely overrun with homework. My other classes are heavy in workload, also. In fact, this weekend I've been at homework all day Friday, Saturday, and now I'll be at it all day today.

Anyway, we've covered quite a lot in physics. These summer courses go so fast.

We talked about "The Big Three" equations, free fall, projectile motion, energy, work, The Principal of Conservation of Energy, kinetic energy, potential energy, momentum, impulse, The Principle of Conservation of Linear Momentum, collisions, center of mass, torque, conditions for static equilibrium, moment of inertia, rotational kinetic energy, Hooke's Law, stress, strain, Young's Modulus, uniform circular motion and centripetal force.


This happened yesterday. The ashtray-pot was knocked over and rolled to create this pattern with the ashes. My first instinct was to calculate the amount of force that my husband applied to the ashtray-pot to make this happen. Upon thinking about it more, I realized there were just way too many variables.

The only think I don't like about physics is how everyone always asks me questions like I have all the answers. I don't always have the answers. I guess, the problem is, is that I usually have the answers.

We had a quiz one of the days. I would have been fine had I not skipped a whole part of a problem. Part B of the first problem got completely passed by. I don't know how I did it, but I did. I put my bad grade on the fridge because I don't see the point in putting good grades on there. If most of my grades are good, what's the point? I get motivation from failure, not from success. Success is just what should happen. I need to be reminded of my mistake so I don't make the same mistake in the future.


Last Thursday was the Lab Event. This sign was up in the lab:


It's where we do two labs in a row. That was a little intense, I have to say. I got pretty burnt out by the end, but at least I got to go home early. It was nice to be home at 8:15, instead of 9:30.

We have a group project. Ours is "Resonance Tubes." I am in charge of creating the stand for it. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm going to ask my mom if Monday we could go to Home Depot so I can pick up supplies.

I started a painting for stress relief. I've been pretty stressed out lately because of the heavy class load. I'm painting NGC604, which is in M33. I got the inspiration for this because I asked Ryan (the S.I. in physics, he was also the S.I. in my astronomy class) what his favorite deep sky object was. He said M33 was one, so I decided to go from there. I offered him the painting when I'm done because otherwise it's just going to sit around in my basement. Here it is so far:


And here is what the image I'm using to go against looks like:



So far I have an A in Physics and an A in Physical Geography. We had one paper in Mass Media and Society, on which I got a C-. The highest grade on the paper was a C, so I don't feel so bad. Plus, we're allowed to do as many rewrites as we want. I'll change it to an A no problem.

I'll be doing tutoring for extra cash in physics. The professor approved of me tutoring, and I feel really happy about that.

Overall, I'm pleased with everything.

Oh, I told Ryan and the professor I was crazy. I got positive reactions out of both of them, it was awesome. :)

I'm done for now I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post?