17 February 2012

How my mind works - Part I - Categories.

I decided to write a series of entries dedicated to my strangely operating psyche. I don't work the same way as everyone else, though I am human. My current system works very well for me, though it probably wouldn't for everybody. These entries will be about how I function on a daily basis in my head, and how I manage to be an incredibly high functioning schizophrenic.

Part I - Categories.

I classify people into categories based on their relationship with me, their position in society, and their words and actions. If I have people in clearly defined categories, with certain rules that apply to each category, it makes interacting with people easier. I know what I can say and do, and can't say or do. I usually automatically classify people into a category as soon as I interact with them for the first time, or learn about them for the first time.

Each category has it's own set of rules and logic systems. There are modifications to each category, that I like to call plus and minus, based on how the person interacts with me regularly. I apply the plus when they get certain priviledges and allowances, and the minus when their normal priviledges and allowances are restricted. I'm going to list some of the categories now and explain the specific rules applied to each.

Stranger - This is usually applied to someone whose opinions, belief systems, and general existence are unimportant to me. This is usually everyone's default category after I see, or learn of them, for the first time. There is absolutely no attachment here, and my actions and words are not monitored to the extent that they would be with others. I do not care what the people in this category think of me, and they rank the lowest on my scale of personal importance. No physical contact is allowed.

Friend - There are absolutely no restrictions on my behavior when someone is filed under this category. This category is reserved for those who have earned the position, and the work involved to get there is extensive. The things allowed in this category that are often restricted in others is physical contact, emotional and mental transparency, bluntness, and complete honesty. The plus applied to this category is given when the person has demonstrated that they really love me and I have believed them. The plus is rarely given because there are so few times I actually believe someone cares for me. The minus is given when some of these normally absent restrictions are put back into effect. This can happen for a variety of reasons. People in this category rate high in personal importance and their feelings and thoughts are carefully considered. Emotional attachment is given in this category.

Authority figure - This is given to professors, and other people I have determined are above me in social standing. Physical contact is restricted to handshakes and pats on the back, other displays of affection, such as hugs, are strictly forbidden. Personal transparency is restricted, joking around is restricted, as well as the expression of personal wants and needs. Emotion, in any way, is not discussed. The plus is given when some of these restrictions have been removed, and that only happens when it has been clearly shown that it is safe to remove some of these restrictions. The minus is given when respect is lost for some reason, and this happens sometimes. When this occurs, I usually lessen my respectfulness of their time. If it's a professor, I will be less upset if I miss a class, or fail to do some extra work. People in this category rate lower in personal importance, but high in social importance. Meaning, basically, that for outward appearances they seem high in importance, but on a personal level their importance is minimal. Emotional attachment is non-existant for the most part, unless the plus classification is given.

Acquaintances - There are some restrictions on physical contact and personal transparency. People are usually filed into this category once I've had more than one interaction with them. The plus is given when some of the normally present restrictions are removed, and only after it has been determined that it is safe to remove such restrictions. The minus is not given in this situation, they are simply reduced to stranger status. There is minimal emotional attachment here, but there is some present.

Other - There are several people that are classified on their own. This happens in only extremely special circumstances, since I don't like to have people filed in their own category. People in this list include my husband, my parents, as well as a few others. To have people float between categories bugs me, so I rarely do it.

Those are the basic categories I apply to people. It makes things much simpler if I can define people by categories, and can therefore organize social interaction accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post?