The main reason I adopted the systems I've discussed earlier is to reduce the impact of schizophrenic symptoms. Schizophrenia is overwhelming, and its symptoms can be crippling. People with schizophrenia often experience hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, disorganized thinking, lack of motivation, among others. In this part, I will discuss how using my systems help me in functioning even though I take very little medication.
Part IV - My Systems and the Management of Schizophrenic Symptoms
I choose a low medication lifestyle. I choose, instead, to use the systems I have in place to manage my schizophrenic symptoms. The reason I do this instead of taking medication is because I hate the side effects of medication, including how it makes me not me anymore. I am going to list each symptom and discuss how I use my systems to manage each one.
Hallucinations
I hallucinate regularly. They tend to be more visual than auditory, though I do experience auditory symptoms as well. In order to determine whether what I'm seeing is real or not, I have to rely on a well defined logical process and probability. In the process, I ask many questions that help me determine the reality of what I'm seeing. The questions are as follows:
Have I seen something like this before that I can determine was real? How many times have I seen something like this before? Have I heard of a similar occurance, or have I experienced something similar to this before? How does the functioning of the natural laws check out against this occurance? What is the likelihood of something like this happening? Are there any logical inconsistencies in what I'm seeing, such as time frame or position? (Position includes things like lighting angle, or reasons for whatever the thing I'm seeing are for being where it is.) What are other's reactions to what I'm seeing?
Usually, after asking such questions, I can successfully determine whether what I'm seeing is real or not. As for auditory hallucinations, it's easy to determine whether it's real or not, because it just sounds like a TV is on in another room. You can't make out what they're saying, but you can tell people are talking. Logically, that is easy to figure out. All I have to ask myself is if there is an outside source of noise that could possibly cause whatever I'm hearing.
Delusions
Delusions are challenging to deal with if you have emotion and pay attention to instinct and feelings. The main reason I adopted an emotionless existence is to manage delusions. The definition of delusion is the following:
b: A persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite of indisputable evidence to the contrary.
This would be hard to deal with if you pay attention to how you feel. The only way to manage delusions is to look at the logic behind whatever delusion it is, ignoring how you feel about the situation entirely. Feeling things makes delusions all the more real because, often, delusions are maintained because of an irrational belief due to an emotional response. If I cut out emotion, and rely on logic alone, long lasting delusions are a thing of the past.
My logical process for delusions is similar to that of hallucinations. I ask several questions, and throw in probability to determine the efficacy of what I'm thinking. The questions are like this:
Are there any logical inconsistencies with what I'm thinking? What is the likelihood, based on previous experiences, that this is reality? Where did this idea come from? (Often, if there's not a definable source of the idea, it is false.) How many times has some idea similar to this presented itself, and has been based in reality? How long have I had this idea? Are there any emotional reasons behind this idea?
Asking such questions is usually effective in getting rid of delusions. It brings to light falsehoods and irrational thought.
Paranoia
Paranoia is a large problem for me. That's not a surprise, since I am diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. Paranoia is easily done away with, though, in a similar way that delusions are done away with. I ask questions and throw in probability to determine whether the paranoia is justified or not.
Does the person, or do the parties involved really benefit from being against me intentionally? Has anyone ever behaved in a similar fashion to what I think toward me? Is there a logical reason for them to behave this way, or for them to be against me? Is there an emotional reason for them to behave this way, or for them to be against me? What is the likelihood, based on previous experience, that they'd really be against me? Is it logical that I'm the center of attention, allbeit negative?
If I ask these sorts of questions every time I feel paranoid, usually I find logical inconsistencies and the paranoia is comfortably alleviated.
Disorganized Thinking
Disorganized thinking is a tough one, and one I still struggle to manage. It's hard to logically work this one out when your brain can't think linearly. The best management of this is the elimination of frustration with the problem, which is possible if emotion is put out of the picture. Logically, I know there's nothing I can do about it, so there's no reason to get frustrated.
Note: I do take "medication" for this symptom - nicotine is helpful for this.
Lack of Motivation
Lack of motivation is another one that's logically challenging to work out, though not in the same way that disorganized thinking is. The problem with lack of motivation is that it covers all aspects of things that need motivation, including the application of my systems. Since they are habit, however, it becomes easier, though it can only really work on a logical standpoint if there are deadlines. If there are no real deadlines, it's difficult to find a logical reason to get something done within a timeframe. Since most things of importance have deadlines, it's easy to work my way out of lack of motivation when it's important to do so. The emotional side of it - the lack of wanting to do something - is overcome by the need to get something done on time.
That is how I apply the systems I've developed to the management of my schizophrenic symptoms, and the main motivation behind the development of such systems. It is easy to manage my symptoms now because these systems have become habit, and I am able to function in the world without the assistance of antipsychotic medication. I am able to be me, without being weighed down by heavy duty psychiatric medication.
Supplemental: Not taking things personally/Not being offended
It is nearly impossible for me to take things personally, or to be hurt by what someone has said. I rarely get offended. The reason this is is because I lack the emotional faculties for offense. None of my personal belief systems, or anything about myself, can be hurt by other's opinions or belief systems.
When someone says something, my first reaction is to look for logic within what they had said. If someone has said something that could be possibly considered offensive, or be taken personally, I look at the logic behind what they have just said. The logic may be flawed in some way, and in that case it is easy to not be offended because there is no real basis behind what they have just said. If their logic is accurate, then there may be something about myself that needs to change. If it is something I don't want to change, then there is also no reason to be offended.
That simple line of logic is useful in arguments, when you ought to keep a clear head. It is a line of logic anyone can use to reduce offense easily. That is one system I suggest everyone use as it's helpful in every day life. It's easier for me, since the rest of my functioning already follows a similar pattern, but it should be easy enough to apply for anyone.
That's it for part IV. I will be adding more to this series as I think of things to add, but for now this is it.
Part IV - My Systems and the Management of Schizophrenic Symptoms
I choose a low medication lifestyle. I choose, instead, to use the systems I have in place to manage my schizophrenic symptoms. The reason I do this instead of taking medication is because I hate the side effects of medication, including how it makes me not me anymore. I am going to list each symptom and discuss how I use my systems to manage each one.
Hallucinations
I hallucinate regularly. They tend to be more visual than auditory, though I do experience auditory symptoms as well. In order to determine whether what I'm seeing is real or not, I have to rely on a well defined logical process and probability. In the process, I ask many questions that help me determine the reality of what I'm seeing. The questions are as follows:
Have I seen something like this before that I can determine was real? How many times have I seen something like this before? Have I heard of a similar occurance, or have I experienced something similar to this before? How does the functioning of the natural laws check out against this occurance? What is the likelihood of something like this happening? Are there any logical inconsistencies in what I'm seeing, such as time frame or position? (Position includes things like lighting angle, or reasons for whatever the thing I'm seeing are for being where it is.) What are other's reactions to what I'm seeing?
Usually, after asking such questions, I can successfully determine whether what I'm seeing is real or not. As for auditory hallucinations, it's easy to determine whether it's real or not, because it just sounds like a TV is on in another room. You can't make out what they're saying, but you can tell people are talking. Logically, that is easy to figure out. All I have to ask myself is if there is an outside source of noise that could possibly cause whatever I'm hearing.
Delusions
Delusions are challenging to deal with if you have emotion and pay attention to instinct and feelings. The main reason I adopted an emotionless existence is to manage delusions. The definition of delusion is the following:
b: A persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite of indisputable evidence to the contrary.
This would be hard to deal with if you pay attention to how you feel. The only way to manage delusions is to look at the logic behind whatever delusion it is, ignoring how you feel about the situation entirely. Feeling things makes delusions all the more real because, often, delusions are maintained because of an irrational belief due to an emotional response. If I cut out emotion, and rely on logic alone, long lasting delusions are a thing of the past.
My logical process for delusions is similar to that of hallucinations. I ask several questions, and throw in probability to determine the efficacy of what I'm thinking. The questions are like this:
Are there any logical inconsistencies with what I'm thinking? What is the likelihood, based on previous experiences, that this is reality? Where did this idea come from? (Often, if there's not a definable source of the idea, it is false.) How many times has some idea similar to this presented itself, and has been based in reality? How long have I had this idea? Are there any emotional reasons behind this idea?
Asking such questions is usually effective in getting rid of delusions. It brings to light falsehoods and irrational thought.
Paranoia
Paranoia is a large problem for me. That's not a surprise, since I am diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. Paranoia is easily done away with, though, in a similar way that delusions are done away with. I ask questions and throw in probability to determine whether the paranoia is justified or not.
Does the person, or do the parties involved really benefit from being against me intentionally? Has anyone ever behaved in a similar fashion to what I think toward me? Is there a logical reason for them to behave this way, or for them to be against me? Is there an emotional reason for them to behave this way, or for them to be against me? What is the likelihood, based on previous experience, that they'd really be against me? Is it logical that I'm the center of attention, allbeit negative?
If I ask these sorts of questions every time I feel paranoid, usually I find logical inconsistencies and the paranoia is comfortably alleviated.
Disorganized Thinking
Disorganized thinking is a tough one, and one I still struggle to manage. It's hard to logically work this one out when your brain can't think linearly. The best management of this is the elimination of frustration with the problem, which is possible if emotion is put out of the picture. Logically, I know there's nothing I can do about it, so there's no reason to get frustrated.
Note: I do take "medication" for this symptom - nicotine is helpful for this.
Lack of Motivation
Lack of motivation is another one that's logically challenging to work out, though not in the same way that disorganized thinking is. The problem with lack of motivation is that it covers all aspects of things that need motivation, including the application of my systems. Since they are habit, however, it becomes easier, though it can only really work on a logical standpoint if there are deadlines. If there are no real deadlines, it's difficult to find a logical reason to get something done within a timeframe. Since most things of importance have deadlines, it's easy to work my way out of lack of motivation when it's important to do so. The emotional side of it - the lack of wanting to do something - is overcome by the need to get something done on time.
That is how I apply the systems I've developed to the management of my schizophrenic symptoms, and the main motivation behind the development of such systems. It is easy to manage my symptoms now because these systems have become habit, and I am able to function in the world without the assistance of antipsychotic medication. I am able to be me, without being weighed down by heavy duty psychiatric medication.
Supplemental: Not taking things personally/Not being offended
It is nearly impossible for me to take things personally, or to be hurt by what someone has said. I rarely get offended. The reason this is is because I lack the emotional faculties for offense. None of my personal belief systems, or anything about myself, can be hurt by other's opinions or belief systems.
When someone says something, my first reaction is to look for logic within what they had said. If someone has said something that could be possibly considered offensive, or be taken personally, I look at the logic behind what they have just said. The logic may be flawed in some way, and in that case it is easy to not be offended because there is no real basis behind what they have just said. If their logic is accurate, then there may be something about myself that needs to change. If it is something I don't want to change, then there is also no reason to be offended.
That simple line of logic is useful in arguments, when you ought to keep a clear head. It is a line of logic anyone can use to reduce offense easily. That is one system I suggest everyone use as it's helpful in every day life. It's easier for me, since the rest of my functioning already follows a similar pattern, but it should be easy enough to apply for anyone.
That's it for part IV. I will be adding more to this series as I think of things to add, but for now this is it.


No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think about this post?