22 February 2012

How my mind works - Part V - My Major Flaws

Alternate title: Where the Systems Fail.

I decided I should probably write an entry about what happens when the system goes wrong, as well as some flaws that I can't seem to get around. There are several downsides to adopting a system like this, and I'll go into each one. I'm also going to get into processing power, and the limits of my processing power.

Silly Mistakes
One thing I often do is make silly mistakes. I often make similar silly mistakes multiple times. The reason this is, is because I need every occurance to happen in every situation at least once. Because I use logic and probability to function, and those things alone, my system gets a little confused when it has no data to work with.

For example, I make an obvious error on a test. The reason I made the error is because I've never encountered that situation before, so I've got no data for that specific situation to work with. Normally, since I access the data I've stored to assess what to do in a situation, I would look for similar situations in which something I've encountered has happened before. If I've never encountered the situation, then I have no data to work with and I don't know how to respond to the situation. This results in silly errors, but I'll never repeat the same error again. (I shouldn't say never, but it is highly likely I won't make the same error again.)

Making things more complex than they actually are
I have a huge problem with this. This is where logic goes wrong. Here's my train of thought:

If something is simple, then it is obvious.
It's not obvious.
Therefore, it's not simple.

Note: My logic is more like "Things that are simple should be obvious. It's not obvious, therefore it shouldn't be simple."

If I encounter a situation where this logic comes into play, then I will often make it more complex than it needs to be. This happens all the time, and is the main reason I have trouble with simple ideas. The more complex and complicated an idea is, then it's more likely I'll understand it, or be able to figure it out.

Asking questions
This is one problem I have that I can't seem to logically get rid of. I hate asking questions. All kinds of questions. I think that I should be able to figure out everything on my own. This comes from years of previous data in which I was able to figure out everything I needed to know on my own, or was encouraged to do so and was successful. Since, normally, I'm able to figure out things on my own, when I can't I find it uncomfortable to ask questions. I figure that if I just think about it more, I'll be fine.

I also don't like asking things of people. Logically, inconviniencing someone for my own personal reasons, seems like a bad idea. If all the act that I'm asking the person to do aids me in some way, but inconviniences the other person, I decide that I shouldn't ask the question. My benefit analysis system goes wrong, because I automatically rate those I care about as more important than I am. So their inconvinience overrides my convinience, logically.

Processing times/Processing power
These systems take a lot of mental processing power. Half of my brain is always dedicated to these systems. Because of this, my brain gets tired out faster than most. I've determined that I have about a 12 hour run time, in which I can think about my systems as well as think about other things. Peak performance occurs for about 8 hours, and that begins as soon as I tell it to. This means, however, that I have to plan my days accordingly. As soon as my peak performance time is over, I can't think about complex things as well as run my systems. The systems must always remain in the background, so I constantly have one pattern of thought going. Even when I am concentrating on something, I have to keep my normal mental processes running. The result is limits in the times I can be 100% operational.

Data recall
I am human, as much as I feel otherwise. This means, of course, that I can't store data in a way that a computer does: 100% accurate copies of the information. I do make mistakes when I recall information that I have stored, so my probability calculations aren't always accurate. This doesn't often become a problem, however, because I've learned to adjust my probabilities as soon as I've received the information. This only really becomes a problem when I haven't decided to make note of specific data and the probability associated with it.

Lack of empathy
Sometimes I forget other people have feelings. I like to correct people, because I'd want others to do it to me, but I forget that sometimes people don't want to be corrected.

When others tell me there is good news, or there is something to be excited for, or they've given me a present, I rarely act excited. I have a very flat affect, and some have problems with that. I wish I could appear more excited, or happier, but it's just not in my nature. I've been working on a way to feign excitement, or to logically come up with an equivalent, but it's hard to do.

Those are my most major flaws, and where my systems go wrong. I have more benefits than bad effects, so I continue with using these systems. The things I have listed are things about myself that I fear will never change, but I'm okay with that. I'm okay with who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post?