I'm writing an entry on my little history of Pink Floyd and me (or is it Pink Floyd and I? Grammar check doesn't mark either incorrect), and what they mean to me.
Pink Floyd and Me
I was young, I don't quite remember how old. I lived near a street named Floyd, and my mother and I were in the car driving past it. She laughed, and I asked her why. Someone had painted the Floyd sign pink.
When I was about 12 or 13, I heard Pink Floyd for the first time that I really remember. My dad and I were on a road trip, which happened often, and we decided to have a music war. I brought some of my CDs (which I admit, were terrible at the time), and he brought some of his. Among them, including ZZ Top and a couple others, was Pink Floyd - The Wall. We listened to it, and at the time I just thought it was odd. I never really got it out of my head though, and about a year later I decided I'd download the album.
I listened to the album constantly for about 3 months before I downloaded more albums.
By the time I was 17, I had reached the point of obsession. I had decided that my favorite album was Animals, but had absolutely fallen in love with every single album.
Every album seemed to speak to me and connect to me in a different way. There were times where I listened mostly to The Division Bell, or Animals, or The Wall, or Wish You Were Here, or Dark Side of the Moon. I spent a time listening only to their early stuff, and I spent a time listening to all of the members' solo albums.
Recently, I've found that Dark Side of the Moon really describes how I'm feeling lately. I'll point out a few verses/lines that pop out at me.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
I've been feeling very old lately. I know, I'm 22, but I still feel old sometimes.
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane.
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.
Well, this just makes me think of my mental illness. So we know why it applies. :)
In October, Chris and I are going to go see Roger Waters touring The Wall. We got floor tickets. I'm so excited, it's going to be one hell of a show.


No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think about this post?