23 July 2011

My Journey Through Physics - Part 11

Physics II was really awesome on Thursday. We learned more about gravitational force, electric force, and magnetic force. We learned about a law that doesn't have a name but my professor calls it the Fun-Da-Mental law of Magnetic Fields. We also learned the Biot-Savart Law.

We were also taught about the permittivity of free space and the permeability of free space. This is where I saw just about the coolest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. The permittivity of free space is a quantitative description of the way in which an electric field propagates through a vacuum. The permittivity of free space has a constant which is Esubo=8.854187817 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2. The permeability of free space is a quantitative description of the way in which a magnetic field propagates through a vacuum. The permeability of free space also has a constant, which is μsubo=4π x 10^-7 N/A^2. The coolest thing ever that I was shown was that 1/sqrt(Esuboμsubo)=2.99792458 x 10^8 m/s. That's right, the speed of light.

That was the work Maxwell did and it fused electric and magnetic forces to make it electromagnetic. That's so awesome. The speed of light ended up being written over my smiley face in class so it got erased. :(

We learned about what makes things magnets and magnetic flux as well. Class was really entertaining. While the professor was writing his diagram for a non-magnetized substance the drawing had multiple little sections within the drawing of the substance and we started pointing out the shape of states in the drawing. It was really funny. We sat there for a few minutes pointing out states while he drew arrows in the little sections.

Lab was a good lab on Thursday. We were working with solenoids. I had to ask about the question for thought but Ryan gave me a very vague answer when I asked him about it. I managed to come up with the answer for the question for thought, though.

I stayed after class to have Ryan drive me home because it was so incredibly hot and my group wanted to talk about our group project. I ended up being at the school until about 2245 because Ryan and I had to wait up for the professor. Had some more good conversation on our way home. I described to Ryan all the things I hallucinate and am paranoid about. He didn't reject me for it and I am happy about that.

I played OU's disc golf course yesterday. I made 29 over par, which isn't bad for my second time playing. Chris said he wouldn't guess it was my second time. I really like disc golf and I think that I'll end up being pretty good at it.

I'm still reeling about that electromagnetism thing. That's so awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post?