11 July 2011

A post for my birthday.

Well, as of tomorrow I made it another year.  I actually survived one more.

It's a reason to celebrate and be happy.  It's a reason to take a good look at myself and decide what I want to change for the next year of my life.  I figured I'd make a list here of self-improvements I would like to make, partially just to keep track for myself.

1. Be more attentive to friends and family.  I've been sort of neglectful lately and I need to include friends and family more in my life.
2. Manage time better.  Work on time management skills.  I think I could do a lot more with the time I'm given.
3. Start getting in shape.  I've lost all this weight, now I have to tone.
4. Open up more.  I've been rather closed off and maybe I need to let people in some.  I can't do this all by myself.
5. Work on asking for help.  I still struggle regularly with this.  I need to learn to ask for help when I need it.
This past year has been a good year.  I've managed to stay in remission for a good chunk of it.  I've successfully gone to school and received excellent grades.  I've fueled my passions for math and physics.  I've read several books.  I've made new friends.  I've gone down to very little medication.  
Life is complex and life is hard, it will never be easy, but I've found a thirst for life that is unquenchable.  I wake up every day exciting for the prospect of learning something.  Even if I find myself in a place of sorrow, I always think of it as a test.  Life is just a test; a game.  You have to learn to play the game.  You have to learn to beat the game.  It takes time, energy, and strategy.  It takes a constant willingness to learn and improve.  You can't sit and watch life go by, stagnant.  You have to engage, you have to work for the pleasures in life.  I'm determined over this next year to do just that.  To improve my relationships and improve myself.

I've been surrounded by incredibly supportive people this year.  My family and my friends.  Even almost complete strangers and acquaintances.  I've felt incredibly special.  People have gone out of their way for me a lot, especially recently, and there's nothing I appreciate more.

I've put forth a lot of effort in nurturing 3 new relationships.  I've made 2 new friends and created a pretty important relationship with my professor.  It's taken a lot of work, but I've done it.  I had set out a goal to make more friends and I've succeeded with that.  

Generally, I feel good.  I feel excited about the future.  I feel like I can make these improvements if I really work for them, and I plan on it.

I would like to thank everyone who's been there for me this past year.  I may not have been the easiest and most loving person, but I appreciate all of you with all I have.

So, happy birthday to me as of tomorrow.  23 years down, who knows how many more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post?